I’ve never had the opportunity to stay at the beach longer than 3 days at any given time. Until now. I’m enjoying life on the edge of the Pacific Ocean in Washington state for four weeks right now. And it’s awesome!!!
I’ve made no bones of the fact that the beach is my happy place. I came here to find out if living here, either permanently or semi-permanently, was something I would enjoy. After all, it’s pretty drizzly, windy, and cold most days here. Fall, Winter, and Spring are like that. I don’t come here often in the summer, but there are more sunny days then, I’m sure.
I’m spending more time outdoors. Afternoons are for beach walks and reading in my chair…on the beach.
Anyhow, as I type this, I’m a week in and still totally hooked on beach life. What do I love?
- The slower pace and less frantic lifestyle.
- The ambiance.
- Sitting in a chair on the beach after a long walk, just watching the waves.
- The friendliness of the people around me. I sit and work in front of the window and they wave as they go by on their beach walk.
- Finding beach treasures.
- The weather. I don’t mind chilly and windy. In fact, I prefer it to the heat of summer.
What I don’t love:
- That we don’t already have a place of our own at the beach.
Seriously, I don’t have anything else on the negative list. The place I’m renting is one row back from beachside, so I have a good view of the water and it’s a short walk to get there. I’m enjoying amazing sunsets, watching the tide roll in and out, and the clouds herald more rain or blowing out to let the sun in. It’s amazing, it’s beautiful, and it’s a world all to its own.
And I am hooked so far. I’ll post again next month about how I feel at the end of the four weeks. In the meantime, I hope you all get to find a beach, or mountain, if you prefer, and enjoy some outdoor time!
For more information about Laurie Ryan: